Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Hard Rain

Dark clouds fill the sky. February has always left me feeling unsettled. As the economy continues to collapse, I see my loved ones facing hard decisions. More and more of my friends are unemployed. The money is running out. No one is hiring. While banks refuse to lend, house prices fall and rental prices rise. A sick feeling fills the pit of my stomach. Maybe instead of buying musical equipment and taking trips, I should have saved some more money. My job is safe for now, but for how long is anyone's guess. Our CEO called an all-hands meeting for 9am tomorrow morning. I'm trying not to worry.

The reverberations from the US financial collapse have staggered the world. Iceland's economy went bankrupt and their government collapsed. Dubai is filled with empty cars, as industrial expats watch their investments tank, the realization of Sharia's punishment for debt default sinks in, they leave the keys in the ignition and fly home on their last few dollars. The Chinese government just laid off 20 Million people. The business section of today's newspaper is a massacre. These reverberations are coming home now. We're on the edge now. This year will not be kind to any of us. Times of world-changing crisis are here.

I'm sure that in the long run, things will be fine. In the short run, we have to make tough decisions. We must be patient and remember to enjoy the simple pleasures. Try to keep your sense of perspective.

No comments: