Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Fight of Our Lives

Life has been good to me lately, but many of the people I care most about are suffering.

Ben Harper sings (screams, actually) in the song Better Way:

Reality is sharp, it cuts at me like a knife
everyone I know is in the fight of their life
but I believe in a better way

That's how I feel right now. There are hard times upon us. This world is full of evil people who live to take, live to inflict, live to feed on the goodness of the righteous. People reliving the pain inflicted on them by their fucked up parents, inflicting the same on their children, feeding the vicious cycle, propagating evil over and over, generation after generation. But those of us with a heart must band together. We have to take care of each other. I know that it's hard to shine love from your heart when the ticks and leeches of this world are sucking you dry, but I refuse to harden my heart. You can't fight hatred. You can't fight fire with fire. You can't kill evil. You can only absorb it. It's the only way to break the cycle. So I will absorb evil, absorb suffering. I will turn the other cheek, walk away, and find someone savable to nurture. You can't fight evil, but you can make love.

I wish I could save all of my love ones from their suffering, but all I can do is tell you all how much I love you. Hang in there. Keep your heads up. Don't give up hope. Have faith in love. Believe in a better way.

Here are some songs that I listen to when I need strength and comfort. These artists have found ways to articulate things that I feel deeply. Maybe they can comfort you and give you strength.








No comments: